Thursday 30 September 2010

Day 7-9

Day 7

I spent the day relaxing with Padi. I underestimated Cairo traffic and almost missed my train to Aswan. Took the 14 hour train to Aswan.


Day 8

I made a friend on the train - Terry is a pretty cheerful Australian baby boomer. We decided to share accommodation and transport to save money.

Terry and I took the ferry to Elephantine Island and we checked out the Aswan Museum and the Ruins of Abu. The ruins covered thousands of years, starting from the Ancient Egyptians, through the Roman, Coptic and Modern Day. We then went to the Fatimid Cemetery and checked out the Nubian Museum. The Nubian Museum was amazing; the best I've seen in Egypt. It's no surprise as it was only opened in 1997.

In the evening we went looking for a felucca captain to sail us down the Nile towards Luxor. We met one we liked and paid our deposit.


Day 9

Terry and I went to check out the Aswan and High Dams. Wow - they're huge. So huge that I couldn't get the width of Lake Nasser even if I took three pictures. On the way back to the hostel we stopped by the unfinished obelisk.

We're just waiting till mid-day when we are mean to meet our felucca captain. The trip to Luxor should last 24 hours - partly sailing and partly by bus. We should make a stop or two along the way to visit a temple or two.

No comments: