Saturday 28 June 2008

Fireflies

Kuala Selangor is a little hamlet with nothing to do except to go and see the fireflies. The taxi drivers here were asking for RM30 to drive me to the mangrove swamp of Kampung Kuantan where the fireflies are so I asked around how I could get there cheaper. I chanced upon a couple of Pakistanis. One of them drove me there on his motorbike for free. We both went on a 30 minute boat ride to see the fireflies. The guy wasn't very impressed as apparently he sees fireflies all the time in the mountains in North-West Pakistan where he's from. I, on the other hand, found the flickering fireflies very cool. Plus the boat ride in pitched dark (except for the fireflies) added to the experience. My new friend was quite keen to show me around tomorrow evening but I don't want to hang around with nothing to do in the day. I'll flick through my guidebook to see where I can go tomorrow before I head out for Penang on Monday.

No comments: