Tuesday 24 June 2008

Melaka end and return to KL

Overslept. Bought a t-shirt because the dirty clothes were really pissing me off. Then bought another one when I realised that the first one was too touristy to wear (touristy clothes attract thieves and poor bargaining power). By the time I got up, picked up laundry, showered and finally got to wear clean clothes it was already noon. Had brunch in the Geographer Cafe in Jonker Street. It was a refreshing change from the roadside hawker food and dingier cafes I've been eating in.

Went into the museums in the Stadthuys complex. Took a fair few photos as the galleries were empty and there was no one to stop me snapping! Didn't have much time to see all the 5 museums that are housed in the Stadthuys complex (I missed out on the Literature Museum, Governor's House and Democratic Government Museum) as Wee Shen came by at 2:30. He drove me around most of the major tourist attractions and I jumped out to take photos and jumped back in. My very own hop-on-hop-off tour! Thanks Wee Shen! But there were a couple of major attractions we didn't get to see because we couldn't find a place to park. It might be worth returning to Melaka later in order to see them.

Wee Shen dropped me off at Melaka Sentral at 4:30 and I took the 5 o'clock transnasional coach to KL. As I arrived in China Town, I went back to Petaling street to actually have a look at the fake clothing and whatever else was on sale (not the messages). The stuff is really cheap. You can get fake Billabong, Quicksilver, Nike, FCUK clothing (you name it) for about two quid if you haggle. I think I've finally got the hang of haggling. What seemed to work was when I looked really disinterested, browsed casually asked the price, said "too much ah" and walked away. The inevitable reply was always "how much you want?" Then quote a third (yes a third!) of what you were quoted. The worst I found was a third lower than the original quote. The best was what I offered. Didn't buy anything though. It was more fun practicing haggling.

After Petaling Street, I had a road-side burger. It was a concoction of your standard beef burger with a fried egg and some brown pepper sauce that tasted great. Then I headed down to Pesar Seni station to take the Komuter to Taman Bahagia, where Jonathan was to pick me up. Just before I boarded my train, I noticed that my belt's buckle had come off but was still attached to the other side. I spent fifteen minutes repairing the damn thing in the train using my penknife.

In the meantime I managed to lose my ticket for my journey. So the fear of having lost my hidden money was replaced by the fear of being fined for not having a valid ticket for my journey. Great. Luckily, both fears were unfounded and I only had to pay face price of the ticket again (about 35p). But, it was close. I'm pretty sure that someone must have attempted to wrench off my belt in Petaling street. The buckle is strong enough to handle normal your orginally tug.

Couldn't upload pics... will try again later.

No comments: