Tuesday 17 June 2008

Leaving today

Okay... so I'm all set to leave for a month's worth of backpacking in South East Asia. My packing is almost complete and my flight to Kuala Lumpur leaves in ten and a half hours. The extent of my preparation so far has been:

  • Speaking to friends and friends of friends about places to stay and things to see
  • Buying the lonely planet guide to Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei.
  • Buying and filling a 65 litre Karrimor backpack with all sorts of travelling goodies
  • Getting a multiple-entry Malaysian visa in advance (I'd rather not get the single-entry at the airport)
  • Buying 120 Ringgits at an extortionate rate
  • Looking up some Manglish/Singlish phrases
But apart from that, I have little clue what I'm actually going to do or where I'm going to go. I'm not even sure where I'm going to go from Kuala Lumpur International Airport, except that I'll take the train into Kuala Lumpur. I know I'd like to go to KL, Malacca and Penang in Malaysia as well as visit Singapore.

But all that should not take anywhere near the four weeks I have till my return flight from KL on 15th July. Some skimming through my trusty guidebook during my 15 hour journey should give me a better idea of what to do. Let us see how things pan out. At least my minimal planning means that I don't have high expectations.

4 comments:

Brian said...

DUde, actually, isn't it more exciting not knowing what you're gonna do? Backpack, man i wish i could do that. Just make sure you get a glimpse of KL both during the day and night. Let me know where u're staying and i'll try and meet up. :)

Anonymous said...

hey shayan good luck in your trip have all the fun you can.

Jonathan Lim said...

haha.. your last sentence is hilarious.

gin-G-doo said...

laalallala shaaaayaaaaaaaannnnnnnnn