Saturday 21 June 2008

Last couple of days...

Didn't have time to post last night. So... here goes an account of my last 48 hours. I went back to the Singapore High Commission yesterday morning and submitted my visa application. They asked me to call them in 7 working days to check whether my application has been processed. I'd never heard Singlish spoken by a man in a turban before. Odd. Very odd. Then the food (chendol) from the day before hit me.

Diarrohoea and thunderstorms. My Malaysian honeymoon was over. Spent most of the day running from toilet to toilet. Eastern-style toilets in some places made it even more challenging. Went to Chow Kit market. Not much of interest. Running late for Friday prayers, I couldn't get to Masjid Negara (National Mosque) on time, as originally intended. Masjid Jamek was rather cool, I wish I was allowed to take to pictures. It is right next to one of the rivers that run through KL and has palm trees as well as marble flooring and pillars. There is no 'inside' of the mosque as the prayer area has no walls (except the ones for the main complex). On my way to the train station, I passed by Pesar Seni (central market) again and saw a live performace of a Javanese instrument (forgot what it was called) and some art. Loved the local variations to modern art. Made a mental note to see art exhibitions.

I'd stumbled upon the cinema section of my guidebook yesterday and found out how cheap tickets were (around a quid and and a half). I decided to go to Mid Valley megamall to look around and catch a film before Farah arrived in the evening. RM8 for the Bank Job was an absolute bargain! The film is worth watching. Although, the language censorship was rather off-putting, especially as they were not clean cuts (pardon the pun). Before and after frames were pixellated and merged into one another rather like poor satellite signals on tv. I had another hour or so to hang around till Farah arrived and stumbled across an anime store. I had to really fight the desire to buy the store and luckily ended up buying nothing from it.

As Farah had gotten lost again, I met her and her friends at KLCC. We went for sheesha and food. Got back quite late so I just crashed and slept for ten hours straight. After waking up in the afternoon we went to eat in the food court in Giant. I had hot plate and cendol to drink. Amazing! Then we went to One Utama mall and looked around. Got the compulsory touristy picture with a snake (there was a reptile exhibition on) and beer (well, root beer). No longer able to tolerate the heat, I bought some shorts and almost bought some sandals until I realised that my slippers were good enough to get around in.

Went back to have dinner with Farah's dad. We had Kuey Teoy and Satay, as well as teh tarik. Teh tarik is the same as what we call doodh pati in Pakistan. It is tea boiled in milk with no water, so it is pretty strong. My favourite! As usual, the food didn't disappoint either. The satay was the best I've had so far.

All full, we went to the night market where I could finally afford FCUK clothing (hehe). RM15 for a shirt that looks pretty real. Then, back to Syed for supper. ABC for dessert. It was absolutely massive. I don't think I've ever seen a dessert serving that big. I couldn't finish it (quite difficult to believe if you know the size of my appetite).

Then we headed down to Putrajaya, Malaysia's new administrative capital. It had all the sterile charm of a completely new, well-planned town. The ministries and mosque were brilliantly built. Unfortunately my camera doesn't work well at night so the photos were disappointing. I might return sometime during the day to take better photos.

So now, signing off for the evening. Plan tomorrow is to watch another film and then head down to Melaka with Farah. I'll stay in a hostel and meet up with Wee Shen. Afterwards, the plan is to return to KL to see the sights. So far KL has only been shopping and food. Having picked up my souvenirs and lahs, I'm keen to see the real Malaysia.

No comments: