Thursday 19 June 2008

Shopping

After I wrote my last post, I went to Petaling street (China Town) in search for a cheap hostel. I ended up inundated with offers of 'cheap message' and ran out of there like my life depended on it (but not before buying a couple of necklaces). Luckily my friend Farah called at that precise point of time and offered me a room at her house. As she goes to university in Melaka and all her family except her dad is away, her dad came and picked me up from their local train station. Farah's dad is really friendly, took me to dinner and breakfast and even dropped me to the Singapore Embassy today. He has a thick accent and his speech is peppered with Manglish phrases, which was quite unexpected.

So, my day began with a quintessential Malaysian meal, which consisted of very random courses that somehow got together on one plate. My breakfast contained white rice, unskinned peanuts with anchovies, fried chicken and some sauce. Quirky yet strangely enjoyable. But I have to say that the Nasi Goreng and Satay I had for last night is in another league of its own.

Next, I was dropped off to the Singapore Embassy and owing to my unlimited wisdom, I had forgotten to make copies of my passport which the visa application required. As I'd arrived just before the consular section closed at noon, I didn't have time to make a photocopy there and then, so I'll have to go again tomorrow in order to apply for my Singapore visa.

Then I went to meet up with Brian in Subang Jaya and he took me to Pyramid mall. The Tom Yam he ordered for me was too spicey for me to handle. Imagine the embarassment! As a Pakistani, I'm supposed to be able to handle it, but it was way too much. Brian couldn't stop laughing as I attempted to slurp the hot soup. Afterwards, we strolled around the mall where I ended up buying a new Billabong wallet (half price!). My day of shopping had just begun.

After Brian dropped me back to the Subang Jaya station, I went to central market to do some souvenir shopping. I couldn't resist buying my favourite beady bracelets and necklaces made of coconut shells and bits of bamboo (I have way too many now). Then I got a necklace made for my sister, with her name spelled out. Seeing as I'd spent a fair bit of money on jewelry, I bought a little KL desk souvenir and then fell in love with a few t-shirts with Manglish phrases written on them. I'm now the proud owner of 5 new t-shirts (hey, they were only 80p a piece)!

Then I headed to KLCC to see the Petronas towers and stroll around in another mall. As soon as I got out of KLCC station, the twin towers were right in front. For a few moments I stared in wonder, not realising what I was actually looking at. I spent a good half an hour taking pictures of the towers because my photographs just wouldn't reflect the beauty of the damned things. Then, knackered, I headed back to Farah's place and after finishing this post I'm going to tuck in. Good night!


The non-halal section in Giant supermarket


You even pay for the non-halal stuff (i.e. Pork) seprately to everything else. I have a feeling that this has to do with not making muslim cashiers sell haram goods. But the cynical side of me screams out "this is for Islamic finance purposes!"


The Cincau that I had with my lunch. Sublime!


Lizards up for sale


These reminded Brian and I of Omar (rule 34 baby!). Guess how you switch on (or should I say 'turn on') the lamps?

3 comments:

Jonathan Lim said...

that 'quirky yet strangely enjoyable' meal you had is nasi lemak. and it should be rice cooked with coconut milk and not white rice.

great to know you're keeping well otherwise.

Anonymous said...

Have got my best shopping upto now at Mondera for some Jewelry. And got savings through coupons.

chitraj said...

U ran away from the massages...SURE!