Wednesday 18 June 2008

First day and my Malaysian number

My friend couldn't pick me up today so I'm staying in KL until Friday. I ended up taking a coach to KL Sentral. I ran into a couple of Jordanians on the coach and got to practice my (now even more) broken Arabic after quite a while. and hang out around there. I sampled some hawker food (yum!) and then went hunting for Indian food. That search took all of 3 minutes as there was a south Indian place just a couple of shops down. The guy who served me spoke good Urdu so it was good to have a full conversation with someone after a few hours.

Next I went and bought a Hotlink prepay SIM card. My Malaysian number is now +60176684185. I will only be checking my UK number sporadically for messages but to actually speak to me in real time, you'll have to call my Malaysian number.

After hunting around for an hour or so, I finally found a money changer that gave a decent rate for Sterling and got about 85 quid changed into Ringgits. The joyful feeling of RM500+ in my hands sent me heading straight to the local flea market, where I bought a bracelet, got a keyring with my name and a much-needed haircut.

I've spent the last hour sitting next to some Welsh dude who's been trying to convince me that the Illuminati is taking over the world (and that G W Bush and the CIA are in the Illuminati payroll). Joy! Anyway, now I have to find a hostel to stay the night. Would have gone to a trendy(ish) place to hangout but the big Karrimor packpack is too heavy to lug around for much longer. Besides, it makes me look too much like a tourist!









On the way to KL Sentral.














They don't just have these in London!











Hawker food!











My Indian buffet!












Haha... barber shops look the same everywhere!



Pets up for sale











More pets up for sale











Even more pets up for sale



Names on key rings

1 comment:

Brian said...

Dude! How are you enjoying it? Man hope you found a decent place to stay.